What are major differences between Bootstrap 4 and Bootstrap 5? This is often part of frontend interview questions that most frontend developers fail to answer.
This video explores topics of:
– Difference between Bootstrap 4 and Bootstrap 5
– Bootstrap 4 vs Bootstrap 5
– What’s New & What Changed in Bootstrap 5?
– Migrating to bootstrap 5
– Should you move to Bootstrap 5?
– Should you migrate to bootstrap 5?
– Is Bootstrap 5 faster than Bootstrap 4?
– Why jQuery was removed from Bootstrap 5?
– Why internet explorer support removed from Bootstrap 5?
– What is RFS in Bootstrap 5?
– Does Bootstrap 5 has it’s own icons?
In Bootstrap 5 responsive font size is enabled by default allowing text to scale more naturally across devices and viewport sizes. Bootstrap uses RFS (Responsive Font Sizes) that is Bootstrap’s ‘unit resizing engine’ and it is capable of rescaling most CSS properties with unit values like margin, padding, border-radius, or even box-shadow.
Bootstrap 5 uses flexible gutter width that can be optimized according to your design. Bootstrap 5 enhanced grid system by adding an extra breakpoint called XXL.
Limited colors are available in Bootstrap 4. Bootstrap 5 supports extra color with an expanded color palette. Bootstrap 5 has added more color palettes. It has more than 100 color palettes.
Bootstrap 4 dropped icons. Bootstrap 5 has its own library containing SVG icons. Bootstrap 4 has no vertical spacing classes. Bootstrap 5 has additional classes for vertical spacing.
In bootstrap 4 we have margin and padding utilities. In bootstrap 5 other utility API is also added. Bootstrap 5 is flexible and you can create your own classes and own styles while designing projects using Utility API. We can create your own custom utilities for example you can add tailwind utilities inside bootstrap. You can also remove utilities that are not being used, so this helps to make CSS file smaller in Bootstrap 5.
Bootstrap 4 had position relative for columns. That proved hard for elements that needed custom positioning outside of grid. Bootstrap 5 dropped position relative for columns. And this is good.
Bootstrap 4 has got no RTL support but Bootstrap 5 has got RTL support for other languages that are from right to left.
Bootstrap 4 had no Offcanvas component. Bootstrap 5 has Offcanvas component that can be used for sidebar and navbar. You can toggle sidebar or navbar to appear from left, right, top or bottom.
Placeholder components have been added in Bootstrap 5. You can create loading components by using placeholder elements easily.
If interviewer asks about the major differences between Bootstrap 4 and Bootstrap 5,
You can say that:
– Internet Explorer support is removed
– Responsive Font Size support is added
– SVG Icons library added
– Enhanced & consistent form elements
– Faster and lighter
– Highly customizable via Utilities API & extended colors
– Improved & enhanced grid system
– Placeholder components added
– New Offcanvas component
These are the most important and major changes from Bootstrap 4 to Bootstrap 5.
And as for as which version to use is concerned, If project is already using Bootstrap 4, use Bootstrap 4. Otherwise use Bootstrap 5 or just use latest version of Bootstrap.
Use Bootstrap 4 if:
– Your project needs support for IE 10 and IE 11.
– Your project is dependent on jQuery and you don’t need new features of Bootstrap 5.
– You are already using Bootstrap 4 and don’t want to accommodate new breaking changes of Bootstrap 5 yet.
Use Bootstrap 5 if:
– You are using React or Vue.js and want to use Bootstrap without the dependency on jQuery.
– You want to utilize the new features of Bootstrap such as expanded color palette, enhanced grid system, custom utilities, RTL, OffCanvas component, responsive font size etc.
If you are starting a new project, use Bootstrap 5 or latest version. As for me, I will keep using Bootstrap 4 in my existing projects. For new web projects, I will start using Bootstrap 5 right away to make use of the new features introduced. Slowly, I will upgrade my existing projects to move to the newer version. Official Docs has got Bootstrap Migration Guide that can help you migrate from Bootstrap 4 to 5, if you need to.
👍 LIKE VIDEO
🔔 PRESS BELL ICON
#webstylepress #bootstrap #webdevelopment #twitterbootstrap